Sunday, September 6, 2015

I'm Not Unfriendly, I Have Autism

I can only speak for myself, although I have heard of similar stories from other people with autism. I can sometimes come across as unfriendly. I seem eager to end the conversation and move on. Why don't I like people?

I like people just fine and I'm not unfriendly. What is difficult for me is chit chat. It is hard for me to understand the point of talking just for the sake of talking. I will respond but I can't keep up chit chat for too long.

But wasn't I a pastor?

Yes I was a pastor and I spent a lot of time talking to people. I hope I never made anyone feel uncomfortable. I am happy to talk to people within a pastoral context. There is a reason for such conversations and there is a topic to discuss. Even if the person just wants to get to know me, I am happy to talk about my family.

But when it comes to light conversation about nothing in particular, I am going to struggle. Please don't feel that I don't like you. It is just the way I am wired.

No comments:

Post a Comment